Sunday, October 20, 2013

Loose Feathers 2013

Are you stitching the 2013 Loose Feathers series??  When Barb and Alma announced they were doing a loose feathers series for 2013 I jumped on the band wagon.  I mean, could you really go wrong with 12 different samplers to hang as an ensemble.  Then the first design was released and I wasn't very excited by it.  I didn't like the shading of the blackbird and held off deciding how I could change it to suit my taste.  While I was pondering that I received #2 titled My Heart's Desire.  I LOVE it especially the colors.  Well don't you know I started right in on it.  The best part is that it was a quick stitch.  Here are the pictures.  Once again I apologize for the pics, camera issues.



 
It is stitched with R&R American Chestnut with recommended GAST threads.  My issue is this,  I will have to work some stretching magic on this piece because those darn wrinkles do NOT, will NOT and can NOT be removed.  I have ironed this piece many times.  It definitely gives the appearance of an antique sampler.  Something that will clue you in to when it was stitched is the year in the lower heart.  I also added the letter J and U to my alphabet.  Since this wasn't a reproduction I didn't feel it was necessary to leave them out.  I also left our the crowns.  They didn't mean anything to me.  I also have just my initials on this piece and no one else's.  Do you switch things up so that they appeal to you?  Do you change fabrics and thread choices to make it your own??  I would love to know what you do with your pieces??  I hope to be able to download pictures of the retreat and share them soon.  I am sure you have read about it on many blogs but I do feel people have a different perspective so I thought I would share mine with you.  Until then,  Happy Stitching!

16 comments:

Myra said...

It is gorgeous Nataly. I have had some problems with wrinkles in R&R linen myself. Hopefully the stretching will take care of them.

Anonymous said...

I love it, Nataly! I am almost finished with this one myself...trying to decide on what initials I want to put on it:)
Debra Scott

valerie said...

Pretty finish Nataly!

Giovanna said...

A very pretty finish, congratulations!

cucki said...

Very sweet finish xxx

Sarah in Stitches said...

Such a lovely stitch! Good luck getting those wrinkles out. I've done everything to get wrinkles out of fabric, including hand-washing the piece and then ironing it when it's still a little damp.

Angie said...

looks great.

I change fabric count and color to suit me. Recently I have begun to change thread color as well.

diamondc said...

Nataly: I am like you I many times donot stitch like the designers pattern, I love to change out fabric and colors and even leave out or add stitching.
I do like the wrinkles, I have a few things hanging in frames with a few wrinkles, I donot mind at all.
Happy stitching
Catherine

Vickie said...

Aarghh! Wrinkles. Can't stand them.
Beautiful work. I too change things up a bit. I like to make it my own. If there is a motif I really do not like, why keep it?!

Melissa said...

That is just beautiful! Love it!

I will usually try to use the recommended fibers but often end up substituting linen from my stash. I've also been known to switch out colours too every now and then. It's nice to make a piece just your own!

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on your BBD finish! I like your changes! I tend to change out fabric to something I have on hand or something I prefer stitching on.

Robin in Virginia

Angela Michaud-Mourer said...

Beautiful design, AMAZING stitching. Darn wrinkles---we've all been there done that. I always hand wash my pieces before stretching and framing. I've had luck getting out wicked wrinkles by adding a dollop, maybe about 1/2 tsp., of fabric softener to the wash water. I use a bit of Woolite as the detergent.

Maggee said...

That IS a lovely stitched piece! I saw all your changes and they are good! I don't like the wrinkles either, and hope you get them out. I have been known to wet the fabric a little bit (not soaked), then roll it up and put it in the freezer for a few days. Take it out, unroll and iron and I have had some success! Hugs!

pam said...

Great finush. I usually redampen and iron several times to get the wrinkles beat down. Adapt a piece until you love it is my stitchung motto!

Robin said...

This is so pretty. I need to check out this series. I change things up a bit when stitching to suit my taste or decor but it usually a result of needing to compensate after a boo boo!

Catherine said...

Beautiful finish!