Sunday, June 22, 2014

Celebration of Needlework--Early May


I hope everyone is doing well.  I am finally able to sneak onto the computer now that school has ended.  It seems like the last two weeks have been a blur with all of the last minute concerts, presentations, award ceremonies and playoffs. I have enjoy every minute of them but I certainly am looking forward to some relaxation and down time this summer.  
I wanted to share with you the classes that I took at Celebrations.  These are pics of the models and I am slowly working my way through my own stitched versions.  Slow being the operative word of course.
The first is Jeannette Douglass' Bird Box. If you haven't taken a class with Jeannette you must.  She is a HOOT.  She also has lots of little helpful finishing techniques that make you think, Now why didn't I think of that.

Next is Busy Bee Pouch.  If the title is incorrect I apologize.  It is a darling felted wool pouch with a needlebook and strawberry pincushion that tucks safely inside your pouch.  Barbara Jackson was the instructor/designer on this sweet piece and she was lots of fun.


Next I took two classes with Jackie Du Plessis.  The Unplayed Piano Etui and The Secret Garden.  I have admired these on several blogs and decided to take them both as I couldn't decide which to take. Jackie is lovely and I enjoyed both of the classes.  The construction of the piano will be a challenge but that is what I love about classes.  Working outside of your comfort zone.

The Secret Garden is COMPLETELY STITCHED.  There isn't something on it that isn't stitched.  I am slowly working on this one but I do find the stitching very rhythmic and soothing.  This is a very special piece to Jackie and I am so happy she shared it with us.


Lastly,  This is a special stitching companion designed by Pam Reed of Olde Colonial Designs.  She taught it at the Dyeing to stitch retreat last year but I was on the opposite track so when she offered it again at Celebrations I HAD to take it. I have finished most of the stitching. Just need to add charms and finish constructing it.  I love Pam's designs for their simplicity.  She uses specialty stitches to add dimension and texture and it produces a wonderful piece.

I also took a Sewing Clamp class with Maureen Appleton.  Anyone know her??  Miss Stitch Over 1 on 40ct herself.  Well I couldn't resist this fabulous sewing clamp that she was offering and wanted to know just how she does it--Stitching over 1 on 40ct.  I enjoyed the class but do find that over 1 on 40 does strain the eyes a bit so I am saving this project for sunny days and lots of natural lighting.
So,  I know many of you are saying "Wow, that's alot of classes!"  Well, my intention was that it would keep me out of the shopping mall which I always lose control in but ladies it did NOT work. I found lots of fabulous goodies in the mall too!!  I get caught up in the excitement of being surrounded by all the stitching goodies and I also have friends a.k.a. enablers who point things out just in case I missed them. 
My next post I will share my wonderful purchases and a puppy update.  Until then, Happy Stitching!


17 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS for friends who are enablers! :)

Lovely projects - I've not been to Celebrations but it looks like it's worth it.

CathieJ said...

So much beautiful stitching. I have never taken a stitching class.

Catherine said...

Wow! Wonderful projects ~ looking forward to seeing your goodies!

Maggee said...

What a great post! You have learned lots of new things--we look forward to seeing each one as you complete them! On to the stash enhancement! Hugs!

Linda said...

Fantastic stitching Nataly. Everything looks great.

Linda

Marilyn said...

All great projects.
I bet you had a great time.
Can't wait for another puppy pic.
Marilyn

DVHSG said...

Your classes pieces look like they are additions to your stash. So many classes! Good for you. Love, love love, Jeannette Douglas. Yes, she is a hoot!

cucki said...

Wow they all so beautiful projects..
So beautiful.
Big hugs x

diamondc said...

Nataly: What a wonderful time you had, yes there are many enablers out ther I am sure I am one of them, I have had the pleasure of thaking a Jeannette Douglas class she is a hoot and a wonderful teacher, I are so lucky to have been able to take a class of hers.

Blessings
Catherine

Vickie said...

Wow is right! Beautiful, just beautiful. I look forward to the puppy update. Hoping all is well there.

Giovanna said...

My goodness, what a great line-up! Love that garden project in particular, will look forward to seeing it develop.

Melissa said...

What a lot of gorgeous stitching! I particularly like that first one which is a funky design!

Sarah in Stitches said...

Excellent pieces! Sounds like you had a great time at the classes. Can't wait to see your progress on these :D

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Beautiful pieces! I went to Celebrations one time... had a lot of fun but don't think I ever finished anything. Came home with lots of stash though!

Andrea said...

Beautiful stitching and finishing.

Kate said...

Gorgeous projects

Penny said...

Taking classes always sound like such fun. And such pretty projects, too! Hope you have lots of time to relax and work on them. :)